Birdsedge Village Hall was built in 1851, the oldest section of the building originally being domestic, but being extended in the 1870s for use as the village school from 1870 to 1911.
The Hall was purchased for the use of the village as a community building and administered by the YMCA from 1922. It was used as a village club and then as a club for servicemen stationed locally during the Second World War, falling derelict in the 1950s.
The Hall returned to public use in August 1969 when Birdsedge and District Village Hall Trust purchased it from the YMCA from the proceeds of village fundraising. Volunteers from the village completed the renovations to the building and the Hall was returned to full community use in the early 1970s.
The hall continued to be used as a Village focal point by numerous groups but the fabric of the building started to deteriorate and the decision was made at a public meeting to undertake a major renovation project. Several years were spent talking to the local planning dept, architects and The National Lottery.
In June 2008 the go ahead was given by The National Lottery BIG grant scheme to start the project with a grant from them of £235,809. Further funding was then obtained from various sources and the renovations were started in November 2008 by our contractor Simon Wood of Woods, Masonry and Construction Ltd. The Hall was completed in May 2009.